The A+ Schools Program is a school improvement initiative established by the Outstanding Schools Act of 1993. Willard High School’s designation as an A+ School by the Missouri State Board of Education occurred March 6, 2000 as a result of the combined efforts of students, parents, community members, teachers and administrators over a three year period to make changes in the high school program. These changes were designed to guide all students in a rigorous program of academic and technical education that will prepare them for the workplace, post-secondary vocational/technical training or college.
A+ status means Willard students who meet specific eligibility requirements by graduation may qualify to receive state financial funds for two years of tuition, some basic fees at a Missouri 2-year community college or technical school. (All funding is based upon availability of state funds and can be affected by state budget decisions.)
A+ Eligibility Requirements
- Attend a A+ designated high school for at least three consecutive years immediately prior to graduation.
- Graduate from high school with a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher on a 4.0 scale
- Maintain a 95% or higher average attendance record during the four years of high school
- Perform 50 hours of unpaid school-based tutoring or mentoring for other students, of which up to 25% may include job shadowing
- Maintain a record of good citizenship and avoided the unlawful use of drugs or alcohol
- Achieve a score of proficient or advanced on the Algebra I end-of-course exam OR a higher DESE approved end-of-course exam in the field of mathematics. Eligibility may also be established by achieving a qualifying score of the COMPASS exam published by ACT, Inc. or the mathematics portion of the ACT test before or after high school graduation.
- Secure all available federal post-secondary student financial assistance funds that do not require repayment.
Freshman and sophomores who are interested in participating in the Willard High School A+ Program must sign the A+ Agreement and Citizenship forms which are located outside the A+ office. A+ juniors and seniors must complete their tutoring hours prior to graduation by tutoring before or after school or enrolling in the A+ tutoring class. All A+ students must work on maintaining their grade point average, attendance percentage, Algebra I EOC requirement, and good citizenship record each year.
- Perform all other duties and obligations required by state law to be eligible for and receive the benefits of the A+ program