Illness At School
In the event a student should become ill while at school, they will be referred to the school nurse. If the nurse feels the child needs to go home, parents will be contacted and responsible for having thier child picked up from school.
Students should not attend school and shall be sent home from school when one or more of the following conditions exist.
- Head Lice-No-Nit Policy: Students who have head lice/nits will be sent home. They are not to return to school until they have shown proof of receiving treatment and nit removal. The school nurse will work closely with parent/guardian to give appropriate instruction on care of head lice.
- Rash-An undiagnosed or unknown rash will be sent home until seen by doctor and if needed, proper treatment is given.
- Scabies-Students will be sent home. They may not return until proof of treatment.
- Impetigo-Must be treated and covered 24 hours before returning to school with proof of treatment.
- Ringworm-Student must bring proof from doctor of treatment. Ringwor must be covered in school.
- Chicken Pox-Students may return to school 7-10 days after the onset of the rash and when lesions are crusted.
- Temperature-Students with a temperature of 100.0 will be sent home for at least 24 hours or until free of temperature or temperature reducing medications, whichever is the longer period.
- Strep Throat-Students having strep throat should be home on medication 24 hours before returning to school (must be fever free for 24 hours also)
- Pink Eye-Students with symptoms of pink eye will be sent home. They may return to school when they have been on medication for 24 hours, or redness and drainage is gone, or have a doctor’s note.
- Diarrhea/Vomiting-Student will be sent home if more than 3 watery stools noted or deemed a possible communicable disease issue, or if the child cannot function in the classroom. Students should be kept home 24 hours after last episode of diarrhea or vomiting before returning to school.
Willard Middle School417-742-2588NurseWillard Middle School417-742-2588